Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lady In Red

Updates since I left for the tour...
1. My job has changed to wife/seamstress/road manager. 
2. My home is no longer Seattle, but instead is the open road, more specifically Priscilla.
3. I have (somewhat) successfully altered my first vintage piece of clothing! 

I purchased an amazing, long, red, a-line skirt at a thrift store for 99 cents and the only real issue with it was the size. I feel like it was meant to be even though it fell down to my ankles if I wasn't holding it up. You see, I am not a big fan of red. Generally I think its a pretty harsh color and including the skirt, I only own two red items of clothing (that I can think of right now). So when I go thrifting I normally skip right over the red clothes in each section. On that particular day for some reason I decided to take a look in the reds and there was this beauty just waiting for me. I was instantly drawn to the buttons all down the front and the two large pockets. The color has just enough orange in it that it lessens the harshness a bit. Here are some before and after pictures...



Looks kind of like a weight loss picture, huh?


After. It actually fits my waist!
I had some trouble keeping my edges straight with my mini sewing machine. There isn't a guide on it and the foot doesn't hold the fabric down very well. Basically I am blaming all my beginner mistakes on the machine. I am thinking of bringing out my full size machine later in the summer when Ill actually have more time to sew.
With or without the curvy edges, I was happy how it turned out. I don't know if I will ever be a full fledged fan of red and I doubt anyone will refer to me as the lady in red ... unless they are talking about my lipstick. 

I didn't know the timer was going :) but here is the most of a lady in red I will probably ever be 

No comments:

Post a Comment